Monday, July 27, 2015

It's getting hot out here, so shed off all your fur

It's been almost 12 dog years since I barked about my adventures. I've moved to a hot, new place where my paws sweat constantly, I've hiked enough hikes to travel to the big globe in the sky and back, I learned the cold, wet stuff that crashes in the sand is actually pretty fun to play in - I learned to swim, and I started this mind-blowing sport of jumping over bars and racing through circle shapes with holes (my human calls it agility - and it's insanely awesome!).

What's my favorite thing, you ask? All of it. As long as I'm with my human, no matter what we do is pretty stellar, but swimming, running, hiking, camping, chasing ball, agility, playing with kids, smiling with my tongue hanging to the floor, road trips, chasing the kitty, pouncing on mom in the morning, chasing water. It's all my favorite.
Hiking Camelback Mountain in Phoenix.  Bouldering time!

So, we're back in the hot place that I visited before going to California. I'm always hot, so I've been shedding TONS of fur to acclimate. That means more baths and brushing sessions, so I'd be happier going back. Stop brushing me. I just want to play ball!  Curse you tiny human!

My human takes me outside in small spurts to get used to the heat. It's pretty much pointless as I'm black and I get hot fast, but she found a shiny jacket that keeps me 40 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than without it. I really don't know what that means, but the jacket is a life saver. It's quite fashionable too. It's like a super hero cape, saving the trails one day at a time! Mom also jokes that it can receive ESPN or HBO when other humans ask about it. As long as I can watch Animal Planet, that's cool with me. And it's a cool jacket...get it? Ha So cool.

Anywho, mom and I went to Wet Beaver Creek in Arizona yesterday to get out of the Phoenix heat (really it was only 12 degrees cooler at 98 F, but that makes a difference on the paws and furs. It was 7 miles for her and more like 8 or 9 for me. She's so slow on her piddly two legs that I forget how far I've gone ahead, and then have to trot back all the time.

We followed water the whole way. I found every available exit to get to the water (some a little more sketchy than others), so I could swim along the way. It also kept me much cooler, so I think she let me do it more for that reason. I don't care - it was a BLAST!

We finally came to this water hole where tons of humans were playing and swimming. I was a bit alarmed when I'd hear screaming or loud splashes, though. I didn't know if I needed to be on alert to rescue, or if I should leave them to panic alone. My ears perked every time regardless. But, when my human brought out my toy sphere that floats, I really didn't care as much any more. Swimming AND ball? Ugh - I die and go to heaven.

The first time I got out of the water with my ball, all the humans screamed and parted ways like sheep do when you run through the middle of them. I'm not sure why, but I carried on and went away to shake the wetness off. I heard mom tell them I'm polite and shake away from people, so no need to worry. It took 2 or 3 more times for the humans to believe her, but I had a viewing party the rest of the afternoon.

Wet Beaver Creek near Camp Verde, AZ
Once we were done, it was time to head back. The sand was blistering hot and mom saw me start to hate it, so she put fluffy, white stuff on my pads and wrapped it with sticky stuff to keep it there. As much as I really hate things on my feet, it was a smart move. My paws could still release heat while not burning my pads to a pulp. It took me less than a minute to appreciate it.

By the end of the trail, with additional swimming and exploring, I was pooped. I haven't had an adventure like that in a dog year, so it was due.

Good thing it's Sunday. I have all week to rest for the next adventure.

#BLAZEandbritni




1 comment: